Oriental Art Museum at San Gregorio, Venice (Italy)
The Church of San Gregorio is the new site of the Oriental Art Museum: among the most important collections in Europe, created by Henry of Bourbon with items collected during his travels in Southeast Asia, China and Japan. Since 1928 it has been located at Ca ‘Pesaro but after the restoration of San Gregorio, it will be transferred to the new museum space there.
Built in 1105 by the Benedictine monks, the church was remodelled in the 15th century by Antonio Cremonese and in 1775, the Venetian Republic transformed it into the Mint production site. It then became municipal property as it was taken over by the authority after the 1966 flood to set up a workshop for the restoration of important paintings.
The project envisages conservatory restoration work, cleaning of architectural elements, structural reinforcement and taking protective measures for damaged materials. The new museum itinerary is autonomous with respect to the church nave and exploits its verticality by installing a flexible exhibition machine comprising 4 levels. The walls and the floor will not be affected by this new addition that is to be independent from both a structural and functional point of view, thus safeguarding the historic building.
MIBACT – Polo Museale del Veneto
2018 – In progress
OBR – Open Building Research, APML e arch. Eugenio Vassallo